Friday, October 28, 2011

Girl I Didn't Know You Liked Merlot...

It’s so funny how things always seem to work out for the greater good.  We are on the Eve of our 1st Annual Fall Harvest Festival Block Party. Time is winding down. We are indeed in the final hours. Things at this point need to be taken care of.  Those who have committed themselves are accounted for. But for some strange reason one hold out neighbor has been on my mind. Now don’t get it twisted, one monkey won’t stop this Diva’s show, but for reasons only known to a higher authority this particular neighbors lack of involvement bothered me.
I love her children. When I see them I always make a point of speaking. Asking them how their day went. How’s school going? Are you being good? College plans? The usual questions any adult would put on a child when expressing concern. So it hurt my feelings when their mom ignored our knocks at the door for volunteers and contributions. I will admit that I was the block club member screaming outside her house that I knew she was in there and that it was some BULLSHIT she wasn’t answering the door. Not professional, but hey I grew up near Mack & Bewick, so decorum was not always required.  While I know that is no excuse for bad behavior, I couldn’t help myself. Anger has a way of taking you to the “LEFT”.
I spoke with other neighbors about my concerns. I got all kind of crazy responses. None of which made any kind of sense in what I deemed my logical mind. I see you all the time. We speak. We kick it. What’s holding you back??? I admit I got angry at first. We all want things to go our way. We all want people in alignment with our ideas. Those things we hold near and dear. The very things we think are right. Those beliefs we are certain everyone else shares….”NOT”. 
So after a long day of running around for the block party it was time to wind it down. I stepped in my neighborhood store for my favorite bottle of “Merlot” and who do I see??? Okay, you already know otherwise this blog entry would be a complete waste of time. However, my prideful mind told me to keep it moving. Grab what you came to get. Whatever program she’s running let her, but my spiritual being would not accept that. It just simply wouldn’t let me walk away. How could I when all my efforts are for the benefit for us all. Not just me and mine, but for you and yours. So when I saw her I said something. I ran up and threw my arms around her. I began to ask her how could she not want to fellowship with us?  How could she let such a momentous occasion take place without being involved? Of course I got all the stories, but I would not let it end that way.
Making sure to tell her I love her and her children. Letting her know that we need her and hers there, putting my pride aside I knew that was true. So I cannot say if she will show, if what I said will make a difference. But I’m hopeful, I’m positive. Ever the optimistic. Praying for good weather and praying for peace. I just have to believe she’ll be there and I will meet her right where she is…

No comments:

Post a Comment