Saturday, November 5, 2011

I Am Not Afraid...

Tonight I went out with a group of friends. We decided to drive out the suburbs to pacify one of our friends. He always drives to the city to hang out with us. So this time we decided to get dressed up and head out his way. The first stop was dinner at a very nice sports bar. The drinks were awesome. The food was yummy. The atmosphere was just what I needed. It was a mature swanky group of people. I felt at ease. I felt as if I were in the company of my peers. We then left from there and headed to another club of his choosing. I mean we were in his neighborhood after all.
The second stop of the night was a complete shock. This may sound bougie, but I knew the moment we pulled in the lot this was going to be a club full of kids by the lack of nice cars in the parking lot. As soon as we turned the corner there they were, people young enough to be my children. Yet, my friend seemed so excited. He was hyped about bringing us to this teeny bopper club. So it got me to thinking about aging. Why did the prospect of getting older seem to frighten so many people? It made me wonder why some people can age with grace and dignity and others fight it every step of the way like some sort of plague.
So of course the other 3 people in our 4 person posse began to challenge him on his choice of club. I mean, wasn’t there anything in his area for the over 40 crowd. Did I really have to listen to “Shots” all night long with him bouncing around like he had just dropped acid? What the hell was really going on? I felt trapped in a teenage night mare. All I needed was the wet dream to complete it. What would make a man over 40 want to hang out with 20 something’s. This was the kind of club that a girl would tell a guy she’s 21, but in all actuality she was only 15. Jail bait central.  Yet here I sat trying to have a good time. Trying not to spoil his fun, but it was no use. I’m a grown ass woman who likes to hang with other adults my age. I enjoy the company and conversation of people my age and older. People who talk in complete sentences. Who have interesting conversation to bring to the table. I want to be around people I have common interests with, i.e. a job, a home owner, children, a 401K. 
So after what would have seemed like eternity I called it a night. My sister told me I could blame it on her. Say that she was ready to leave. It was no use in lying. He could sense my uneasiness with our environment. So we said our good byes and headed back to the city. Where I am glad to know we have a myriad of night club options. I choose to hang out in spots where men and women over 40 meet to engage in intelligent conversation. I embrace getting older with all the grace and dignity one woman can muster. I don't feel I missed out on one thing in my 20's. I am not afraid of getting older...

No comments:

Post a Comment