Tuesday, July 23, 2013

THE BREAKFAST CLUB





Sitting on the porch for what seems like the first comfortable morning in weeks, I find myself sufficiently amused by the early morning breeze rustling the leaves of our cheap city planted trees. I know it’s probably an exaggeration to say this, but it feels like I have been trapped in the comforts of air conditioning for a lifetime. A self imposed imprisonment of sorts.  So patiently, I waited to come out to enjoy the gentle sunshine and temperate climate of a true Michigan summer morning.

The stillness of morning eases my soul, while gently (relaxing) my mind.  A bird sings his tranquil soliloquy perched on a distant branch.  Squirrels play tag as a car cruises by with neighbors on their way to church to offer praises. I silently whisper…’pray for me.’  Two houses down Ms. Pearl works on her award winning flower bed, vibrant with color and fragrance. The bees make sure to stop by here to pay homage for her efforts. These are the kind of mornings that I yearn for. These moments of peace that often elude us as urban dwellers.

As I settle into my favorite spot on the front porch, my neighbors began to awake one by one from their various forms of slumber to enjoy these early morning hours.  It is during this time that the true “Breakfast Club” meets to discuss the politics of the neighborhood and the social mores of its residents. We carefully exam the complexities of our world, absent of the issues that affect the city as whole. We choose to dissect our small section of the city one juicy issue at a time.  We remember those who have gone on as well as those who have moved on. We use this time to tell stories about the greatness once held by our neighborhood and the glory of days to come. We plan, we dream, we talk, we gossip and we believe. We use this time to plan our methods of holding on to what we have all worked so hard to maintain.

These early morning moments bring about a rebirth of ideas.  Cool and refreshing as the dew dripping off my windows, the newness of this day ushers in hope of all things possible.  Then out of nothingness that perfect moment is abruptly interrupted by the randomness of rapid gunfire. It feels like out of nowhere our Breakfast Club has been dropped into an active war zone. Only the enemies are unknown and the battle is not quite defined.  We look at each other with disgust, then a keen sense of fear feels the air, as we know bullets travel. So one by one we retreat into our homes to an unproven sense of safety.  Within that moment many of us are now alone, afraid, disconnected, disgusted ready to flee at the first opportunity.  We cringe, because deep down we know our city is being preyed upon by urban terrorist. A group of fatherless sons and daughters who roam in a purple haze of dissolution. No goal. No direction. No hope. Just a clear objective of terror, thievery and destruction. Finally, as I surrender behind closed doors and drawn shades I wonder quietly to myself, what are we missing? How have we failed our future?



No comments:

Post a Comment